Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Friends and Family Taking Action

I was so excited to check my email this week and read a KCA College shout out to my brother, Nick! Nick has started a KCA Chapter at New Hanover High School, and he is teaming up with my best friend Amanda Guy, who has just started a KCA Chapter at UNCW! KCA College is an action-oriented network of high school and college students who support the mission and work of Keep a Child Alive. KCA College members raise awareness of the AIDS pandemic on campus and take action by fundraising for Keep a Child Alive to provide ARVs and surrounding care to children and their families living with HIV/AIDS.

The new KCA Chapters at New Hanover High School and UNCW are going to give students in the Wilmington area, a fun and exciting way to get involved with AIDS activism. Our generation has never known a world with AIDS, but with the enthusiasm, passion and dedication of students like Nick and Amanda, people our age can be the force behind beating the pandemic. AIDS is preventable, treatable and stoppable, yet it continues to devastate the lives of millions of people. It is a human imperative for every one of us to do something to keep our brothers and sisters affected by HIV/AIDS, alive.

Me, Mike and Amanda at AIDS Walk NY

In Amanda’s own words:
“I will work as hard as I can, but I cannot do it alone…Students can truly make a difference. It only takes $1 a day to keep a child alive and these children cannot even afford that. We have to do something and I think by starting this club and doing what we can to raise money and awareness, we can make even the tiniest bit of difference.”


You can see the difference you make right here with the stories I share about the patients you help keep alive at the Blue Roof! To join Amanda’s amazing efforts, click here to join the KCA at UNCW Chapter. To join Nick’s mega Chapter at New Hanover High School, click here. Nick and Amanda are already planning to host a screening of Alicia in Africa: Journey to the Motherland (available to watch for free on www.aliciainafrica.com), to raise awareness about KCA’s life-saving work, and get their peers to “give a buck!” Click here to learn more about the KCA College “Who Gives a Buck?” signature fundraiser.


My brother Nick, my sister Nina, and yours truly

In Nick’s own words:

“We can make a difference in peoples lives and this is one of the great ways in doing so.”

I am so grateful to Nick and Amanda for joining me and KCA in the fight against AIDS! The funds they raise at home will continue to make my work on the ground possible! If you have an idea on how you can help, email me at noelle@keepachildalive.org!

No comments:

Post a Comment